USS T-Durant Mission TDRP16001: "'The Word is Given'" (180103)

The USS Taylorholic Durant is considered to be the Flagship of the UFS Fleet. We are honoured to have Admiral Mike Calhoun as our former CO and as a current crew member, as well as other luminaries. We support UFSA as much as we can and we provide mentorship to the JOOP & CGSD graduate programs.
We roleplay in-world on a drop-in and scheduled basis. We also add to our history and environment by writing RP Narratives, Mission Logs & Personal Stories for the UFS forum.
Inspired by the ship's namesake, the late Admiral Taylorholic Durant, crew members work to exemplify the behaviour, actions & vision of United Federation Starfleet in everything they do. Our first rule: to be kind to one another. And have fun.
Please note we practice Post Order (P.O.) and One Post in our Roleplays. For further info, contact the C.O.!

Roleplay Times: Wed 11:30, Fri 17:15, Sun 11:15 SLT

Commanding Officer: Rear Admiral Poison Toocool
Executive Officer: rear Admiral Cheryl Skinstad

Moderators: Cheryl Skinstad, Poison Toocool, Greenlantern Excelsior

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral
Duty Post: Commanding Officer
Ship/Station Posted: USS Taylorholic Durant
Grid: SL

=====OOC======
DURANT MISSION TDRP16001
Wed Jan 3, 2017
OOC Preparation

==============

STARDATE: 180103
CALL TIME: 1115 SLT
LOCATION TO MEET: Durant
RP LOCATION: Briefing Room
MISSION LEAD/GM: Comm Poison Toocool

WHAT TO WEAR:
Standard Duty Uniform (New*)
Durant Combadge - YES
Tactical/Marine Security - No
Medical/Science - tricorders - No

WHAT TO KNOW:
-the ship is: in spacedock, Pinastri
-alert level is: none
-it has been there for: 2 weeks

**You should have read:
TDRP060: "Is This Thing On?" (171112)
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=30022

TDRP061: "Explain." (171115)"
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=30026

TDRP070: "You have no one to blame but..." (171227)
viewtopic.php?f=885&t=30148

**You should prepare:
-a report of your department status, and/or
-scientific / cultural / technological information about the Vitulans
-information on our course and what to expect along the way / upon arrival

POST ORDER: Will be decided, and posted, by the Mission Leader just prior to mission start (and sometimes adjusted in the RP if necessary).
MISSION TIME: Please be ready & prepared & in place for RP to start at 1130 SLT

=====OOC======
ARRIVING LATE? Contact the Mission Lead when you arrive, and wait to be instructed on Post Order & Story before speaking in Local. Come up with a reason why your character would be entering the scene at the appointed time and include it in your first post.

LEAVING EARLY? You need to post out. Come up with a reason why your character would be leaving the scene. Ask for permission to go to your department, for example (RP etiquette also says it’s nice if you wait to see the replies before you actually remove your avatar from the scene).
=====OOC======

::IC PREMISE:: =Through the use of classified surveillance technology we have discovered that the residents of Vitulus II, located just inside the Tokari Sector, have developed warp technology. Their first flight beyond the bounds of their solar system took place 171214.23. The USS Taylorholic Durant is being sent to initiate First Contact. The Captain will hold a briefing at 180103.113 to discuss our orders and the status of the ship's refit/repair.

=^=

Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

CREW MANIFEST
==============

Poison Toocool (Comm), Commanding Officer
Cheryl Skinstad (Comm), Executive Officer
Jorden Allen (Cmdr), Vice Chief Engineer
Drathen Frostbite (LT), Helm Officer ((Yuki Horten))

:communicator:
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

RP LOG, 180103
=============

Commodore Toocool enters the empty briefing room a few minutes early, sitting down with her PADD to go over her notes for the meeting, sitting back quietly as the officers come in, "Hello, good morning," she says crisply. When they are all seated, she says, "We are to get underway 180107.113. This meeting is to discuss our current status and our forthcoming orders. She nods to Cheryl, "Number one?"

Cheryl Skinstad left the Bridge and made her way towards the Briefing room. She exchanged pleasantries with the 3 crew who were already seated as she opened the door and entered. "Good Morning, Captain. I am able to report that everything will be ready for our departure. We have done some double checks in certain areas and procedures regarding our departure. "

Jorden Allen nods, and comments, almost reluctantly 'Required repairs were minor, and are already ahead of schedule. We should complete before the beta shift tomorrow.'

Drathen Frostbite: "Walk from the ops Office" Good Morning Commodore Toocool, Commodore Skinstad and Cmdr Allen. "smiles a toothy grin and sits down ready for his new orders.

Commodore Toocool nods as the first officer, engineer, and helm officer give their summaries. But there is more on her mind. "Exactly what procedures have you reviewed, Mr Skinstad. I assume you have spoken to both Helm and Engineering with regard to correct protocol and the proper sequence of events that should occur when we depart." She calmly asks, "I understand you met with the Spacedock Administrator," she looks to her PADD, "a Ms Idle?"

Cheryl Skinstad: Trying to hide a nervous fidget, she answered the Captain. "We did meet a Ms Idle and Ens Jott. Neither were going to admit to any faults on the Station's Operations side of events."

Allen opens up the PaDD in front of him, and looks over the list of maintenance performed while at spacedock, and prepares a mental list of what to report when it comes up. Regarding the leaving spacedock incident, he had an opportunity to have drinks with the engineers on duty to discuss the problem, and he had heard a different story - but, some sense of honour amongst engineers prevented him from reporting it 'In any case, I have inspected our current spacedock, and the thrusters, especially. I don't anticipate any problems...'

Frostbite growls a bit hearing that name. “Yes Capian we met with them and i agree with Mr. Skintad that they where doing everything the could do to, not take responsibility for the accident.. and from what i read in the report it was the station equipment that malfunctioned not use.”

Toocool sighs softly, shaking her head, knowing that someone somewhere didn't do the job they were supposed to do, causing damage to both the Durant and Peedy Thor station. "It's easy for us to blame each other. What we need to do is set up standards for our ship that will prevent such a thing from happening again." She eyes the engineer. "Mr Allen. Have you rectified the manner of communication between engineering and bridge when it comes to the release of docking clamps? I understand that our consoles indicated the clamps had been removed when they had not."

Skinstad hastens to add quickly before saying anything else "I have personally reviewed our disembarkation from spacedock procedures, Captain, and the use of thrusters, especially, the release of docking clamps." She looks to Cmdr Allen and hopes he is able to appease Toocool.

Allen finds it odd that the station wasn't taking responsibility, at least for the initial incident. The damage due to trying to pull the ship out of dock by force was surely a misjudgement from the Durant, but there was no denying that the clamps should have been disengaged. 'Well, we got the signal from the station that they were released. But yes - I suggest we check manually for the time being, until the starbase personnel decide to overhaul their docking rigs. In the worst case, we can send a workbee out there to pull them off'

Frostbite: "Agrees with mr. Jorden as since i'm the new helm's officer i will be making sure all procedures for docking and undocking the ship will be followed to a T to make sure that it wasn't a pilliting error.

Toocool sits back, musing. "Thank you Mr Drathen." She looks out the window. The station can't be seen from this angle, but she has examined the hull of the Durant from inside station operations. She could clearly see, from that location, at least two docking clamps. "How it is possible they didn't have eyes on this at the time?" she says half to herself. "I wonder... I wonder, is it possible to link in to the station operations... gain access to their imaging cameras placed around the spacedock? This would assist us to have visual confirmation that clamps are released."

Skinstad sits back, watches and evaluates her performance today as XO. Thus far, she was doing everything by the book. Hopefully, that would not last long, once we were back out in space and having to think on the hop about anything and everything. She decided she liked this new chapter of her life and was eager to hear of the new Mission. Instead she answers the Captain eagerly. "I am sure we have the time to look into this Captain". She smiles at Cmdr Allen. She knows he will get everything right this time. It is his way.

Allen thinks for a moment 'I'm sure a word with starbase operations could see to that. It's a good suggestion. We can also polarise the hull before leaving - that will tell us if we're still connected to the clamps or not.'

Frostbite agrees with both everything and thinks how else he can help as well

Toocool nods. She knows she has an efficient crew. But it's her job to remind them of the procedures and make sure everything is clearly spelled out. "Yes Number One, we still have a couple of days to iron out new departure routines. If we can get hooked into the video feed, make it so, Mr Allen. Mr Drathen will be on Helm when we depart," she nods to him, "I know we are in good hands. Now, as to where Durant is going..." she refers to her PADD. "Vitulus II, for a first contact mission. I am sure this information is incorrect," she reads the order again, "Surely that's not in the Farn Sector?" She would call up the chart of explored sectors to check.

Skinstad took a deep breath. "Captain I have heard a little rumour while on Pinastri about the residents of Vitulus II. They have proved interesting to observe. Their technology is more advanced than we first thought."

Allen raises a brow, it had been a while since he was involved in a first contact mission, and even then he was taking the opportunity to work in main engineering with most of the other crew being distracted by formalities. Primitive technology didn't interest him much, but the XO's comment about them being more advanced than previously thought caught his attention 'How much more, Commodore?'

Frostbite (yuki.horten): "Looks at his charts" I am thinking it's actually in the Tokari Sector, about 45 light years away: with slipstream drive, a few days travel

Toocool (poison.toocool) frowns slightly at the word 'rumor', thinking that Federation Standard leaves something to be desired in accuracy of description. "I have read the reports. It does appear that those observing Vitulus were surprised when a spacecraft containing an experimental warp engine was launched. I know little of the Vitulians, but LT Rieko as Chief Science will provide a report as soon as she returns from shore leave." It was odd that warp technology happened to appear so fast. "Ah, thank you Mr Drathen. That makes more sense," she makes a note on her PADD.

Skinstad looks forward to trying out some diplomatic skills and being an Ambassador for UFS. "I am going to enjoy reading Reiko's report. " she eagerly states.

Allen leans back in his chair 'I'm sure it will be fascinating. Will we be taking aboard any personnel from HQ to assist with the mission?'

Frostbite (yuki.horten): "just sits and smiles as he listens to everyone not really having much else to say."

Toocool (poison.toocool) nods, "We will be taking aboard a senior officer with some experience in diplomacy," she says slowly, "I know you will all cooperate."

Skinstad raises a brow, because it had been a while since she was involved in a first contact mission. "Did their first flight take them beyond the bounds of their solar system?" she asks keen to know as much as possible from their briefing.

Allen nods 'I see, do any accommodations need to be made for the ...ambassador?'

Frostbite… “if they may be anything like the Caitian…” growling a bit at the thought but he will make sure to follow proper procedure on meeting them.

Toocool: "Other than the normal respect for Flag Rank, I don't think so," she says to Jorden. "We will have a reception once the assigned diplomat arrives. I should receive those orders shortly." She frowns at Drathen's growl. Looking to Cheryl: "I believe they had placed satellites in orbit of the planet, and travelled through more conventional means to Vitulus III. The concern we all share is.. did they develop this technology naturally or were they influenced in some way. If so, by whom. Because by all reports before this craft was detected, they were decades away from any kind of warp technology. It is odd to go from a manned space flight to a nearby planet to something outside one's own solar system...." she frowns again, "Don't you think, Mr Allen?"

Skinstad tries to find out as much as possible from her Captain, eager for information. "I agree with you that it was odd that warp technology happened to appear so fast. Do we have any theories as to how and why yet? I guess that is what we are assigned to do?"

Allen chuckles 'Well, if Federation history is anything to go by, developments can happen at seemingly random intervals. If there is a good research team working on relativistic physics, another working on efficient power generation, and they get inspired by early manned spaceflight to mix them together - well, it's possible. If that's the case, I'd love to meet the researchers involved, it could be interesting to see how their understanding of subspace has evolved, for example'

Frostbite thinks. “I have a theory on that. It's possible that Time on the planet may move faster then when in normal space. So that would make a salivation evolve quicker. we seen this before from when voyager sent the Doctor to the planet 10 mins was like 5 years, it's very possible that it could be happening here as well.”

Toocool smiles at Cheryl's enthusiasm, "Exactly, Number One. We carry the diplomat who is supposedly experienced at initiating first contact. At the same time, we use everything at our disposal to determine how and when warp technology was introduced to this world. There is only so much information that we can glean from long distance surveillance," she adds, "It would be interesting indeed, Mr Allen and exactly the sort of thing I would like you to do if we are permitted to visit and ask those kinds of questions in an information exchange." She turns to Drathen as he suggests a different perspective, nodding approvingly. "That is an excellent idea, Lieutenant. Nothing in our information to date suggests a time distortion but that is certainly a possibility and something to be investigated." She checks her PADD. "Now, have we covered everything for today? I know we all have other duties needing attention."

Skinstad feels the excitement from the occupants of the room, all from different aspects of the unfolded mission and information. She smiles warmly at each inwardly. As the excitement of the news of an imminent mission wears off, Cheryl listens carefully to the Captain before commenting. " I think we all have plenty to keep us occupied for the next few days, Captain."

Allen sighs to himself, knowing that his time spent working on the ship in peace would now be replaced with the political mechanisms of a first contact - he looks to the XO, then the Captain 'In other news, retrofits to various working quarters, especially offices, should be mostly complete. I can't vouch for the functionality, but they certainly seem more colourful, and practical.'

Frostbite smiles, also a bit excited on this first contact mission. he members back when he first joined how everything seemed so odd to him at first but got over it and has embraced his new life here in the UFS and aboard his new ship along with having a great crew by his side. “Yes i think everything will go smoothly and in the next few days leading up to the mission i will be going to the academy to do more classes.

Toocool: "Good, Mr Drathen. As you know, I approve of continuing education." She would then rise from her chair. "I like the changes to my ready room," she comments, and then says briskly, "Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Prepare for departure 1145 hours 180107 sharp. All crew should be back on board by 0800 that day, no exceptions," she adds tersely, recalling the last time. "Engineering, we'll need your green light by 1100 hours so other departments may also prepare. Number One, full status reports from all departments on my desk by 0630 tomorrow." She looks to them all and says with a soft smile, "Dismissed."

=^=
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral
Command - Rear Admiral

MISSION IMAGES
===============

:communicator:
Poison Toocool
Command - Rear Admiral