IMPORTANT NOTICE: The wiki has recently been updated with a new theme and layout. If you encounter any errors, bugs or unreadable information (like white text on white background, or something similar), please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include a link in your e-mail to the page where the error is/was located for reference. For issues with your Service Jacket, please contact: email@example.com.
UPDATES UNDERWAY - WORK IN PROCESS
Reviewed and Amended by:
Last Revision Stardate: 110702
- All current and future members of United Federation Starfleet
- UF Starfleet Command
Letter From The Admiral
From the desk of the Commander-in-Chief, UF Starfleet
Welcome to United Federation Starfleet, an international Starfleet organization dedicated to the enjoyment of Gene Roddenberry's concept of Star Trek. We are a group in constant growth and we are always looking for bright and motivated people who want to have fun with us and live the Star Trek dream. We promote tolerance and peace amongst all species so there's no prejudice around here. United Federation Starfleet is what it is today thanks to the people who are a part of it. The dedication of our members is something extraordinary, no matter what species they belong to.
If this is your first time on UFS lands across the different metaverses, we thank you for your visit. We hope you visit us again soon... if this is not your first time, it is great to see you came back for more.
One thing I'm fond of telling our members is: What you get out of your United Federation Starfleet experience is all up to you. If you are content with just being a member, that's fine. But if you participate actively within the group, your United Federation Starfleet experience will be very rewarding. It's all up to you.
Welcome to the United Federation Starfleet family!
Admiral Mike Calhoun
Commander-in-Chief, UF Starfleet
What is UF Starfleet?
United Federation Starfleet is a group whose members are Star Trek fans from around the world. It started initially within Second LIfe®, to recreate the Star Trek Experience and live the dream of being a part of Starfleet on a daily basis. However, it has morphed into something more. With an ever expanding focus UFS has begun venturing into other metaverses as well, such as 3rd Rock Grid, OS Grid, and a new Star Trek themed grid known as UFSGrid. In the final months of 2011 UFS made the massive move into a Real Life Fan Organization. Truly we are seeking out new life and new civilizations.
One thing that sets us apart from other Star Trek related groups is that UFS is a registered Not-For-Profit. What this means is that we have the resources and vision to accomplish many different unique membership opportunities.
UFS is an organized and structured organization built with a long term vision in mind. If you plan to be promoted to the rank of Captain within two weeks then UFS is not the place for you. When joining UFS, it is important for you to realize that rank and awards are earned and that takes time. UFS has several roles that permit brevet promotions to higher ranks but it is a great commitment and will be lost if a member fails in their duties. UFS was built on the vision to become a Fan Organization that allowed its members the ability to live the dream of a Starfleet Officer in an interactive way. This fact in its own right differentiates UFS from the Play by Email or Play by Forum role play. Our main goal is to recreate Starfleet and the Star Trek universe in the most authentic way possible.
UFS provides an Immersive Role Play environment, but mainly is a place for those who just want to walk around in a Starfleet uniform and enjoy trek with other Treekies. In addition, we are also expanding into other venues which will allow membership for all, including those who do not desire to log into any of the various metaverse in which we have a presence.
United Federation Starfleet's Role Play story began in the year 2381 in the post-Nemesis era. Reasons behind this, as well as why we are situated within the Delta Quadrant can be found within our Historical Achieves. For more information please read The UFS Universe.
Members of UFS have worked hard to create a set well conceived and written manuals to help members understand UFS.
- United Federation Starfleet Membership Manual UFS Membership Manual
- UFS Constitution and Bylaws UFS Bylaws
- UFS Promotion Guidelines Promotion Guidelines
- UFS Chapter Commissioning Manual Chapter Manual
- UFS Chapter Commanding Officer Manual CO Manual
- UFS Marine Corp Membership Handbook UFSMC Manual
- UFS Marine Corp Force Commander Manual Force Commander Manual
How To Join UF Starfleet
With our ever expanding universe, joining has never been made easier! Just follow the directions listed here to apply online!
What Happens Next?
Filling out an application is just one of the many steps to starting your UFS Journey! Currently, we offer several different programs:
- Civilian Program
- Starfleet Enlistment
- Starfleet Officer Program
- Marine Enlistment
- Marine Officer Program
Civilian Life at UFS!
Please click here to find out more about our exciting Civilian options here at United Federation Starfleet!
Contrary to popular belief, Starfleet’s primary mission is not a military one. Despite its military ranks and procedures, its frequent space battles, and its ships which carry enough firepower to bake the crust of a planet, Starfleet is devoted primarily to the peaceful, scientific exploration of space and the policing of Federation space lanes. However, there are times when military intervention on a planet becomes necessary, and when those times come, the Federation maintains an elite force of soldiers - Starfleet Marines. Fleet personnel serve a wide variety of purposes, diplomatic as well as scientific. Starfleet Marines serve a narrower purpose - reconnaissance, armed support, and of course combat! If you are up to the challenge, then Starfleet Marines is the place for you! The Marines offers 2 career tracks, branching out to indefinite career possibilities! The first one is our Commissioned Officers Program, which takes Recruits 4 weeks to complete, while the other is our Recruit Enlisted Program, which takes 2 weeks to complete.
- Marine Recruit Handbook: This document describes what every Marine Recruit must know, always a useful read.
- Class Cancellations: Worried what to do when a class is cancelled? Don't fear, read this for more information.
If you have further questions and wish to know more, you are encouraged to contact your Training Platoon Officer in Charge (TPOIC) who should be able to assist you further in your endeavours. Please do be sure to follow the correct Chain-of-Command when reporting. That meaning Cadets should first attempt to Contact their TPOIC before contacting the Marine Commandant or Admiral Calhoun, or anyone else. The Chain-of-Command exists for a reason and in all but necessary circumstances should be followed.
Have you ever wanted to explore strange new worlds, and boldly go where no one has go before; meeting strange and exciting new species, going on scientific missions to save the galaxy, or defending our founding principles? Then Starfleet is the place for you! Starfleet offers 2 career tracks, branching out to indefinite career paths. The first one is our Commissioned Officers Program, which takes 4 weeks to complete, while the other is our Enlisted Program, which takes 2 weeks to complete.
- UF Starfleet Academy Cadet Handbook: This document describes what every Cadet/Recruit must know, always a useful read.
- Step-by-Step Until Graduation: Ever wonder just what you have to do to graduate? Read this document for more information.
- Class Cancellations: Worried what to do when a class is cancelled? Don't fear, read this for more information.
If you have further questions and wish to know more, Cadets are encouraged to contact their Cadet Company Commanders who should be able to assist them further in their endeavours. Please do be sure to follow the correct Chain-of-Command when reporting. That meaning Cadets should first attempt to Contact their CCO, CXO, CSO before contacting the Academy Commandant or Admiral Calhoun, or anyone else.
What Happens After I Complete the Academy?
Starfleet Academy Graduation
After successfully completing our Academy, you will be selected for Gradation. We understand that this can be a very difficult time for our members as you transition from the daily structure offered in the Academy into a new position as a Starfleet Officer! Our goal is to ensure that no one falls through the cracks and that you get a duty assignment as soon as you graduate, but to do that we need your help as well!
Due to the wide variety of posts available here at UFS, we have created a few extra steps which we offer to our members if they need help finding a duty assignment.
- One of the first things to do when you are newly graduated is to make sure you get your first Ship or Station Assignment. It helps if you already have an idea as to where you want to be posted through contact with our members.
- If you are unsure, it is suggested that you enroll in the UFS Midshipman Program. This is a program that is designed to assist new officers coming from the Academy but do not know where they wish to serve. Graduates no longer part of active missions at the Academy often become frustrated after they graduate because they all too often do not know where to go for their initial Duty Assignment.
- The Midshipman Program provides opportunities to explore ships and stations, meet Commanding Officers and sample various positions, and to make connections for an initial assignment at the UFS. Please contact the Midshipman Program Director for more information into this amazing program!
In the off chance that you do not have an assignment 1 week after graduation, please contact your Branch Commander. A list of Branch Commanders can be found here.
Starfleet Marine Academy Graduation
After successfully completing the Marine Academy, Recruits will be selected for Gradation. We understand that this can be a very difficult time for our Recruits as they transition from the daily structure offered in the Marine Academy into a new position within the Corp! Our goal is to ensure that no one falls through the cracks and that you get a duty assignment as soon as you graduate, but to do that we need your help as well! After completion of your Academy requirements, it should be a simple matter of being assigned to your chosen occupational speciality or MOS. If any issues arise be sure to contact the Commanding Officer of the Branch you wish to enter for assistance. A list of Branch Staff can be found here.
What Happens If I need to Leave UFS?
At any given time anyone is free to join or leave UFS. In doing so it is important to understand that when you leave you are free to come back at any time! Leaving UFS has been compared to leaving a family and it is our dearest hope that your decision to leave is not permanent but rather a temporary one at that. Families do have words and the occasional fall-outs, thus we realize that it is important at times, that we take a step back and cool down before making rash decisions. Our Recruitment & Retention office has proven that 85% of the people that leave UFS want to come back within 30 days. And as such, we've made sure that our membership policies reflect this in a way that makes it easy for those who do desire to take the time to fresh air to be able to come back with ease.
Thank You for taking the time to read this. Below, you will be able to find some of our important documents and information which will help you in the coming weeks here at UFS.
On behalf of our Commander-in-Chief, Mike Calhoun, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and all UFS Members. We Welcome You to United Federation Starfleet!
Your Journey is about to begin, and a lifelong friendship will form!
- Code of Conduct: Outlines how a UF Starfleet Member should behave.
- UF Starfleet General Orders: The most important guidelines for UFS Members
- Starfleet General Orders: Most important guidelines for Starfleet officers and enlisted (RP)
- Duty Assignment: About Duty Assignments and Transfers, Time in Position, Senior and Double Billets.
- Chain-of-Command: All about the Chain of Command in UFS
- Group and SIM Rules: About the common rules to all members in order to keep peace and order.
- Rank Structure And Billets: About ranking (including UFS Rank Chart), billeting distribution, and eligibity.
- Roll Call: Overview on how we keep track of our members.
- UFS Promotions Policy: Describes how Promotions are determined and handed out.
- UFS Awards Policy: Describes the current Awards and the criteria for awarding them.
- Uniform Policy: About our uniforms and how to properly wear them.
- UF Starfleet Academy: A state-of-the-art educational facility, classes are offered through the Academy Online or in classroom settings with instruction ranging on a wide variety of topics.
- UF Starfleet Command: This branch is the structure of the Fleet, often behind many decisions that impact the future of United Federation Starfleet within the Delta Quadrant.
- UF Starfleet Corps of Engineers: Comprised of a dynamic group of individuals whose hard work and dedication brings the areas we love to enjoy to life.
- UF Starfleet Intelligence: The sleuths in the fleet. Individuals within this branch are familiar with a tactical assessment of many cultures, planets, conditions, and phenomena.
- UF Starfleet Marine Corps: The ground-pounders and fighter jocks of UFS, Instruction is offered and Dill Instructors are on hand to shape recruits into a finely tuned machine.
- UF Starfleet Medical: How do you use that hypospray? Well this is the branch where you can learn how. UFS Medical, where technology and personal care unite to heal.
- UF Starfleet Operations: Operational support to the Fleet is their job as well as decoding and decrypting communications.
- UF Starfleet Security: Work hard to keep UFS safe throughout the Quadrants, from starship and station duty, the role of a security officer is always one of vigilance.
- UF Starfleet Science: Where many experimental designs are tested in collaboration with the UFS Engineering officers to procure a more vibrant future for all.